Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Real and artificial, cheap and expensive, Part 1

Today I want to talk about real and artificial PLANTS. I love it when the snob says, “I could not live with artificial plants or flowers; I have to have the real thing or nothing.” In our home we have both, and I have fooled many a snob who can not tell the difference. Of course, you don't want to buy cheesy, really cheap plastic flowers, why, because there are beautiful silk and fabric flowers available. The craft stores like Michael's and such have a fabulous array.
On our bathroom counter we have a tall white vase (very large) filled with even taller artificial greens and silk flowers and they look great. I did it myself, it wasn't cheap, but it was worth it, because we have very little light in that bath. My husband's comment when he saw the arrangement said, "It looks like a model home in here." He loved it.
Artificial plants can be very pricey, but if you have a dark house or corner then it is a good place for an artificial tree or plant. To clean it, take it out in the sun on a hot day and hose it off occasionally, that will make it look new. I don't like paying over $50 for an artificial plant and have picked a few good ones up at thrift stores and also the grocery store will occasionally have a bargain.
Remember, plants and flowers can make a dull house look elegant and can bring out a subtle color you have somewhere in the room. Plants also add filler for spaces that appear bare.
In part 2 we will have a talk on cheap and expensive artifacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment